Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Happy 4th of July, 2012!


Patriotism in a nation of bigots can be a very dangerous thing. Nazi Germany and Fascists Italy are proof of that ~ not to mention Imperial Japan, or a nation run by ayatollahs and their cohorts like Iran. The truth is you can hop-scotch around the globe and find dozens of nations loyal to the most outlandish ideologies and dictatorships.



Fanaticism, unfortunately, is latent in the heart of some of the most sincere people on earth. Think about it!



Sincerity breeds fanaticism if not properly directed. Believe me, I know. In my desk files are a series of photographs of decapitated Christian corpses that sincere Hindus decided needed killing. Sincere Muslims do the same thing, as do the Buddhists on occasions. And, in all truth, we can not stop there. Some sincere people, rallying under the banner of Christianity and patriotism have done as badly.



This brings me to the point. Why do people behave like this? The answer is simple. They have lost their moral moorings. They are not anchored in truth. However, as G. K. Chesterton so aptly put it:



“We ought to see far enough into a hypocrite to see even his sincerity.”



And, where there is sincerity, there is hope in spite of the fact that it may be cloaked in fanaticism or even hypocrisy.



I am convinced that even in the heart of the most recalcitrant is a seed of sincerity. The criminal may believe there is genuinely no hope in or reason to obey the law, but they are sincere about it. Now, I know in generalizing we can run into problems, but I will point out that even men like Ted Bundy (accept it or not) reportedly repented and received Christ just before his execution. Think about Saul of Tarsus, or John Newton (1725–1807) the slave trader who wrote Amazing Grace.



So, as long as there is breath, there is hope.



Now, just before I put the missions squeeze on you, let me ask you a personal question: “Did you ever pray for the now deceased Osama Bin Laden’s salvation? What about the Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, or the late Ayatollah Khomeini? Ever offer up any prayers for these fellows?”



I’ve got to be honest with you, I did; however, I will admit it was through clinched teeth at times. A man like Bundy hardly seems worth praying for; yet, Christ died for him as well as for other notorious characters listed above.



Better yet, what about the millions of pagans that have never heard of Christ?



My purpose is not to put you or anyone else on a guilt trip. My purpose is to bring a glaring opportunity to you and me to express our patriotism to a far greater Kingdom through obedience to our Lord and Master, who said for us to:



“[G]o and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20 NIV)

Now, in closing, I wish you a Happy 4th of July, and may God bless you and America! Let us always remember that it is through Christ that all nations are blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments and opinions, please continue.