Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday, June 23, 2012

So, you want the Baptism of The Holy Spirit? Are you ready?

So, you want to receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit? Are you ready to receive it? Are you sure? If so, then be prepared to surrender your will to His.


For instance, the Bible tells us that Jesus said,



“I have much more to tell you but you cannot bear it now. Yet when that one I have spoken to you about comes—the Spirit of truth—he will guide you into everything that is true." (John 13: 16 EVB)



Therefore, let me ask you, are you willing to give up your pet theology if His Spirit prompts you? What if God's Spirit prompts you to reexamine your stance on say, end time events, or human sexuality, or water baptism, or divorce and remarriage? Or the evidence of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit?



Please understand that a 'what if' is not an endorsement, or even a suggestion that some of these issues should be reexamined. In my case, however, I must admit that I have always found it a little daunting that most denominations require their ministers to sign a pledge each year that their theology has remained unchanged. Which, in fact, boxes them into a kind of doctrinal straight jacket.

Personally, I have always appreciated the fact that my denomination has given us the privilege to privately work our way though on these things as long as we don’t preach some of our sincere doubts from the pulpit. Goodness knows that I didn’t have all the answers to all the complexities of our faith when I was ordained. O, I could answer the questions. Sure, I could dot all the theological I's and cross all the doctrinal t’s; but much of what I knew was still in my head and had not filtered its way down to my heart.



Many of my friends, however, have been hesitant to objectively consider the possibility that God may have more for them, or a desire to lead them into a deeper understanding of His Word, simply because they are committed to some pet theology.



Poor William Carey, the father of the modern Protestant missions got a deaf ear turned to him by the church leaders of his Baptist church because they were committed to hyper-Calvinism and felt that God summarily promoted select individuals to Heaven and sentenced others to a Lake of Fire and Brimstone for all eternity. Mind you, all were sinners, but some were selected on a Godly whim, I suppose. So, they reasoned why bother to reach Muslims or Buddhists, or even the drunk down the street? In their eyes they were all going to Hell anyway, hence why bother?



Now, allow me to pause long enough to ask, how many people do you know that in essence feel the same way? Maybe not to that extent, but to the extent that missions is a bother. So, they treat prayer and giving to missions lightly. At best each prayer is just a token like their giving. It’s something the church must do, but missionaries are nuisances. So, why answer their phone calls? Or go out on a limb with a monthly pledge? Never mind that all it is, is a commitment to trust God for the money. Please don’t think I am being facetious. I am really not.



Case in point. One missionary I know personally, made 72 phone calls with only 3 answered or returned. How sad. What a waste of time and money.



Take it from a veteran. I would rather have a returned phone call and get a flat no answer, than to grow weary trying to drum up enthusiasm for missions from someone who is apparently already dead to missions anyway..



My prayer is that the Holy Spirit—that most, if not all of these individuals claim to have—will fill their hearts with compassion and they eyes with tears, as they cry over the lost like Jesus did over Jerusalem.



Is that too much to ask? Is that too much to expect?



I think not.


Now in closing, if you wish to contribute to towards our overseas ministry expenses to help "Others" reach their generation, please click onto the donate button and when prompted clearly designate all gifts in the comment section to: Class (40) Ministry Trip. Or, for those of you who have asked how to contribute to our personal expenses, just enter Class (09) Personal Expenses in the comments section.



If you are not on line and wish to mail your contributions in, send them to that address below and I will see that you get AGWM and IRS credit:



Missionaries Jim & Bonnie Roane
1013 Madera Court, Allen, TX 75013-3639




Thank for making all of this possible!





http://ag.org/top/missionary_directory/world/world.cfm?Display=Yes&churchdetail=AGFM3205

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments and opinions, please continue.