Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, July 05, 2012

Who's The Smartest?


Recently, reading my devotions, I was struck by the kind of matter of fact way that Paul went about doing missions. A prime example, I believe is found in Acts 14, where it is recorded that,



Paul and Barnabas returned to Lystra, Iconium and Antioch, strengthening the disciples and encouraging them to remain true to the faith. Saying, “We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God.” Then, Paul and Barnabas appointed elders for them in each church and, with prayer and fasting, committed them to the Lord, in whom they had put their trust. (vs. 21-23)



Contrast that with the missionary mentality of some today who feel that the national church is never quite ready to take on the responsibilities of nurturing and growing the indigenous church and are not smart enough to take on such responsibilities.



A case in point, I was flabbergasted sometime back when a newly appointed missionary ask me (in all sincerity, I am sure) which of the many countries that I had served in had the “dumbest” nationals?



Really? I thought, this fellow can’t be for real. But he was.



I tried to give a thoughtful reply because I am well aware that sometimes a foolish question is often wrapped in a cloak of sincerity.



 “Well,” I replied, “really, wherever I have worked, I have found some pretty smart people. As a matter of fact, I think that I have learned as much . . . perhaps, more . . . from my national brethren than I have from my own missionary colleagues. There are cultural differences, but basically mankind is pretty much the same wherever you are. So, I have always followed the advice of my dear father-in-law, Alfred Cawston, who said to me when I started out as a missionary: ‘Jim, if you ever have to make a choice that does not involve morals or ethics that you know may potentially divide the work, always take the side of the nationals.’”



Apparently, the advice rang true, not only for me, but for my young colleague. Not long afterwards, I was happy to see that this young fellow had teamed up with one of the nationals that he felt wasn’t capable of handling the work.



Why do I say all of this? Let me assure you, it is not to be critical of any colleague living or dead. I must admit that I had to at times reach back into my memory and bring out my father-in-laws’ advice and take a good long hard look at it. For, more often than not, the nationals had it right. They understood their people much better than I did.



So, where does this bring us to as missionaries and financial contributors to missions programs that some of us will never see?



It brings us right back around to where Paul and Barnabus were, we must “with prayer and fasting, committed them to the Lord, in whom they had put their trust.” (v. 23)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments and opinions, please continue.