Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Kung: A reply, and futher discussion on sola scriptura

Bill you said:
My reply:
By the way I would completely avoid Kung if you want to understand Catholicism and specifically papal infallibility.
Yes, I am aware of Kung and his censorship by the Catholic church; however, I find his approach interesting as a epistemologist, particularly as it pertains to propositional truth as opposed to experiential truth, which, I think is the closest that we can get to ontological truth, noetically. Intuition is the Kierkegaardian leap that I feel gives us cognitive knowledge of truth through an encounter with particular truth.  In many ways, I think this is what John was referring to when he wrote: Romans 8:16


The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:


Other references that I find interesting concerning grasping truth are:


Galatians 4:6
And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.
Romans 8:14
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
1 John 3:24
And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.


Galatians 4:6
And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.


1 Corinthians 2:10
But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

All of these deal with invisible intuitive dynamics, which I find very interesting, since it just adds further fuel to my contention that interpretation or verification ultimately rest within the individual—not the pope (who must also be interpreted)—but in the sola scriptura position, since it allows, in fact invites, contributory categories (the creeds, theologians, history, etc.) to reinforce Biblical truth. However, ultimately, the final verification is what some have called the “aha” moment when the individual encounters truth.

Futher, I believe this is epistemological foundation that Christ prayed for, when he prayed,   


That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. John 17:21 (King James Version)


Perhaps, you would like to give me some feedback on this, and I will continue the discussion in another blog.