Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, August 13, 2012

Wood, Hay and Stubble

Staying focused has always been a problem with me. I am absolutely fascinated with almost every aspect of life. Now, that doesn’t mean that I am good at everything that I attempt, but I try.

Language is a good example. A linguist, I am not. But, I have been able to master a passable fluency in a couple of foreign language and have a good basic comprehension of a third. My portfolio of academic experience includes everything from meteorology to naturopathic medicine, and, of course religious studies.

However, he is where the rub comes in. If I have one regret it is that I have spread myself to thin; trying perhaps to be all things to all men. That doesn’t mean that I haven’t enjoyed some of the unusual bypaths that I have taken. It is nice to know a little about weather and medicine. My experience as a weatherman in the U.S. Navy was fabulous, as was my time in hospital work. Fortunately, most of the time I was able to maintain an active ministry, as a sailor preaching in the Philippines, or as director of administration for the Mission of Mercy Hospital in Calcutta.

My regret is that I ~ remember, honest confession is good for the soul ~ have not spent more time on my knees and in searching out the richness of God’s word. Oh, I teach New Testament theology, and Biblical hermeneutics, apologetics, and a few other subjects like world religions and so on; but . . . when it is all said and done, all that really counts is whether or not I have been faithful in reaching my generation for Christ.

That’s it in a nutshell.

So, I along with C.T. Studd, the famous cricketer and missionary, I say:

Two little lines I heard one day, Traveling along life’s busy way;
Bringing conviction to my heart, And from my mind would not depart;
Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.
Only one life, yes only one, Soon will its fleeting hours be done;
Then, in ‘that day’ my Lord to meet, And stand before His Judgment seat;
Only one life,’ twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.
Only one life, the still small voice, Gently pleads for a better choice
Bidding me selfish aims to leave, And to God’s holy will to cleave;
Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.
Only one life, a few brief years, Each with its burdens, hopes, and fears;
Each with its clays I must fulfill, living for self or in His will;
Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.
When this bright world would tempt me sore, When Satan would a victory score;
When self would seek to have its way, Then help me Lord with joy to say;
Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.
(Poem: “Only One Life” by C.T. Studd)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments and opinions, please continue.