Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday, April 03, 2010

Missionary Success: How is it measured?

As missionaries, I readily admit that my generation made colossal mistakes.

We were superior, at least in our minds, to the national culture. After all, we were educated, and from America; and, of course, it did not hurt that for the most part our skin was lighter than the ‘natives.’

Frankly, we were colonial. We had difficulty in separating American culture from Christian missions.

Now, I hope that in my transparency I have freed myself from any appearance of smug self-righteousness. However, on the other hand, I do feel that in context of the present church culture that there are a few caveats that we need to point out about this generation. And, what better way than to refer to a recent book by the insightful author, Warren Cole Smith, entitled A Lover's Quarrel with the Evangelical Church 1 (Authentic, May 2009).

Caveat number one is what he refers to as “Empire building.”

The problem with falling prey to the temptation of empire building at home or abroad is that generally speaking it is cultic and usually falls apart when Mr. Super Charisma Dandy Man and his wife dies or leaves the scene. So, why should we export it?

Caveat number two is what he calls "The Triumph of Sentimentality." Unfortunately, many—not all, however—of the so-called mega-churches are taken up with the entertainment culture.

In regards to that observation, I recently wrote an article (again, before I read the book) in which I said the following:

“Recently, I attended a mega-church, and must say that the over all experience was good; however, there were a couple of observations that I took home to mull over.

One was the music. It was mega-loud and mega-contemporary. I came away with my ears ringing, and really not much in the way of worship. Glancing over the crowd, I noticed that most, including the young people (who were swaying with the music, but not singing) were spectators. So, I suppose, if you are into Christian rock, it was a smash.

Another thing did bother me, too. During the offering, the pastor mentioned that the church had recently secured some used medical equipment, which they took to and installed in a hospital in a restricted country. Of course, this is commendable in and of itself. However, in the process of explaining why the church gave the equipment the pastor said, "The main reason we gave was to impress the government and give the "church" (i.e., the denomination) a good reputation in the country.”

Woops! Let's back up here. I thought that we are to give because we love people, and that Godly giving expects nothing in return. Looking good should have nothing to do with it.

At least, that is what I read in Scripture.

Moreover, it is my contention that bigness is not necessarily Kingdom success. It seems to me, at least, that Biblical Christianity is not about just spreading money and good will abroad. Surely, the duplicitous rice-Christians of past generation are testimony enough against that approach.

So, why should we export such sentimentality?

Lastly, Smith addresses what he calls "the Christian-industrial complex”.

Smith estimates that publishers collect and distribute at least $50 million a year to copyright holders of contemporary worship songs. The results? A song culture that in many cases is determined by what is popular but not necessarily doctrinally correct.

One church that I know brags about the fact that they write all of their own songs. Half of which, I might add are biblically unsound. I am not against new songs. Really, I am not. Let's keep them Scriptural, however. A case in point (although Smith does not mention this), recently I listened in astonishment as one worship leader, swaying with eyes closed and hands raised, sang over and over again, “Lord, we enthrone Thee.” My question is, ‘When did we get the authority to enthrone God? I thought He was already on a throne.”

So, my suggestion is that we take a fresh new look at bigness to re-examine our motives and methods to make sure we promote His Kingdom, not ours, or our culture.

Well, at least, I have given us something to think about!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments and opinions, please continue.