Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday, April 03, 2010

It's your choice, after all

Life is full of choices. An agnostic has chosen not to choose.  The atheist has chosen not to believe in God. A Muslim has chosen to follow Mohammed.  A Christian has chosen Christ.

David made a wise choice to follow Jehovah.

He writes in Psalm 119,
 44 I will always obey your law,
       for ever and ever.

 45 I will walk about in freedom,
       for I have sought out your precepts.

Or, as the Amplified Bible reads:
45 And I will walk at liberty and at ease, for I have sought and inquired for [and desperately required] Your precepts.

What a wonderful statement! David was at ease with the decision. It freed him from the stresses and strains of trying to trudge his way through life trying to figure the rules for abundant living out on his own.

E. Stanley Jones, a mentor for many aspiring missionaries and ministers, wrote an inspiring book entitled “The Divine Yes” when he was in his late eighties, confined to a wheel chair, and virtually speechless because of a stroke. The whole premise of the book was that the wise man surrenders his will to God’s will in each and every circumstance he faces in life. The decision to do that, he convincingly argued, frees us up to enjoy life at its’ fullest.

David was so comfortable with his choice, and convinced that he had made the right decision that he wanted to share his discovery with others! He said,
 46 I will speak of your statutes before kings
       and will not be put to shame,

 47 for I delight in your commands
       because I love them.

My, what a thought to feast on! He loved to obey. And, he had the confidence to share his belief in the wisdom of obeying God. As a matter of fact, he was so committed to God’s will that he lifted up his hand in worshipful surrender to God’s commands, and found delight in meditation upon them. He says:

 48 I lift up my hands to [c] your commands, which I love,
       and I meditate on your decrees.
It is never enough to surrender. Any fearful person can do that. However, when one surrenders to another in love, it shows devotion. David was devoted to God, and believed with all of his heart that the wisest course was to follow after Him. Obedience of this sort, however, requires not only commitment, but also understanding; therefore, he meditated on God’s commandments in order to fully understand them, so that he could fully obey them.

The longer I live, the more I realize that God’s Word is not something that we can just commit to rote memory, and then it will somehow heal our souls. No, it is never that. We must reflect daily on His goodness, and understand, as best we can, His will for our lives.

This one thing I know, however:

He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. (Ecclesiastes 3:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments and opinions, please continue.