Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, November 13, 2014

50 million Frenchmen can't be wrong ... or can they?


Personally, I find it entertainingly interesting that every Tom, Dick and Harry, along with all the Janes and Susie Quies get to vote on matters of faith and practice. The idea being, of course, that somehow a consensus brings about truth. In that regards, I am reminded of the old song “Fifty Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong” popularized by Sophie Tucker. Of course, we all know that is not true. Yes, it is possible that not only can the French be wrong, but so can we Americans as a whole.



What I have in mind is some of the more recent decision made by our Supreme Court on issues such as gay marriage and abortion. Now, this is not to say that the Court did not make the correct legal decision, but legality, whether by a Constitution or Federal or State law, does not necessarily mean that the decision or law is morally right.

So, it is easy to see that a country can be dead-right and yet dead-wrong at the same time. Law, as such, you see, is amoral. It has no morals. Law is either arbitrary or egalitarian by nature—sometimes a combination of both. Hitler had law on his side, as well as the vote of the people. Hitler, including the majority of Germans at that time were, however, dead wrong.

This, of course, presents an ever occurring dilemma for us as Christians who wish to remain loyal citizens.

In other words, just how pushy should we get? That decision, I must leave with you; however, whatever, we, too, must make sure that our zeal for Divine justice does not make us a victim of our own code of justice. Along with Paul we must ask ourselves,
“Shall we do evil that good may result?” (Romans 3:8)
Of course, the answer is absolutely ‘No!’ We must continue paying out taxes to a corrupt and in many ways an unjust government, and unfortunately watch them squander our money on useless and often time inhumane projects. Render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s is a principle, not a choice, however. Furthermore, two wrongs, as is often said, do not make one right.

Thank God, however, we do have a voice. Although I must admit that I find that some of my most vociferous friends are the least likely to vote. ‘Why bother?’ seems to be their motto. Now, I must admit, I have a hard time listening to folks like that. Those that are not willing to put their money where their mouth is or their vote where their mouth is really don’t deserve the courtesy of taking them serious.

2016 is going to be a watershed year. But, if recent history has taught us anything, it will be the voice of the minority that is heard rather than that of the so-called moral majority. Come what may, however, we must not weary in well doing, for in due season we shall reap if we faint not. (Galatians 6:9) That’s God’s promise, not just one that I came up with; and it is a principle that we must live by.
That goes for all of us. Often it is so easy to just sit back (as we grow older) and say, “I’ve done my part. It’s now time for a new generation to take over.” That, however, is a false security. We can never depend on the next generation to straighten out what our generation has made crooked. That’s our primary responsibility.

Prepare the next generation? Sure. But, as long as we live, it is our responsibility to not just do what is morally right, but to make the crooked path straight for the next generation; or at the very least, show them how.
This is precisely why I take on new responsibilities almost daily. Only yesterday, I accepted a new invitation to help train a new generation of pastors in the Caribbean, which in addition to my commitments to Southern Asia and elsewhere is always a leap of faith.

Why do I say this? Well, for one thing, I am not getting any younger, and furthermore it is next to impossible to even consider financially living on Social Security and what little we have tucked away for taxes and maintaining a home to live in. This never hit me any heavier that this morning when the alarm went off and up jumped my wife to put on her scrubs and race over to one of the local schools to substitute as a nurse for the day. This, I must hasten to added, so that you won’t see me as some kind of old ogre, is her way of saying, “I’m with you in this crusade. Together we’ll fight the battle. We will do our best to get the message out and, yes, train that new generation to take up the banner after us.”

This brings me to my final point—that is, if you are still reading this—we need your help. Financially, right now, our account desperately needs at least $2,500 dollars to meet our current obligations. Now, I know that is sometimes easier to pray than to give, so I ask that each of us soberly ask ourselves if we are just coping-out when we choose to sympathize rather than empathize by making a financial commitment.

(Now, believe me, I don’t feel bad about putting it this way, because we’re talking about a God given responsibility here, not just that of a fellow who doesn't know when to stop.)

In any and every event, however, we are not on this journey alone; and as always, I, too, am most appreciative of all that you do, including your prayers, as well.

I remain yours for the journey,

Jim_/

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments and opinions, please continue.