Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The aliens among us . . .

Now, consider this—

Walking to one of my favorite Mexican restaurants recently, I notice a short little Mayan looking lady scurrying along behind me. Just before I arrived, I noticed that she went down a side alley and then through the back door of another eatery. Dishwasher or perhaps a cook, I thought. Wonder if she has a green card? I mused. I didn't dwell on that very long, however, since I could tell by the cautious look on her face and the colorful Latino blouse and skirt she had on, plus the handmade sandals that chances were she didn't even know what a green card was.

Later that same evening, I was watching the evening news and a lady from Honduras with her child in tow hurried towards a border agent and asked if she was in America. When told that she was, she fell on her knees and begged the agent to let her stay. It was a touching scene; one that brought tears to my eyes.

Friends, I am well aware that we cannot take every stranger in that wants to live in America, and I don't have the answer to the immigration problem, but I do know that God will hold us accountable for how we treat these desperate people. I know something else, also, we are not getting it done with a congress that continues to haggle with a do-nothing administration that can find enough money to bail out corporate America but no enough to seriously tackle illegal immigration. Now, mind you, I am not of the opinion that snatching these poor immigrants as soon as the cross the border and hustling them back to the crime ridden stench and poverty from which they came is the answer either. Something more fundamental than that must be done, and done with a strong resolve tempered compassion that results in more than just pity.

Personally, I commend the efforts of the Catholic Relief organizations, but privately wonder what we Protestants—yes, including the Assemblies of God are doing about it. Tragedy comes in many forms: tsunamis, hurricanes, drought, and medical epidemics. These are not the only form of tragedy, however; the border crisis is one, also. Yes, we can pray, and I certainly believe in the power of prayer, but we need to put some real legs to our prayers and do something constructive to help solve the problem. What a golden opportunity to show the love of Jesus by helping these poor people. So, let’s get busy.

Well, as usual, this is only one man’s opinion; but in this case I am pretty sure that God is of the same opinion, too.

Remember, we're not alone on this journey,

Jim


P. S.  Several of my national friends from North East India would love to attend the Assemblies of God 100 Years Centennial Celebration that is scheduled for AUG 5-6, 2014, in Springfield, Missouri. Please pray for these men and if you wish to help let me know. Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments and opinions, please continue.