Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Focus: The Key to Success



 

Now, consider this—

When Bill Gates first met Warren Buffett, their host at dinner, Gates’ mother, asked everyone around the table to identify what they believed was the single most important factor in their success through life. Gates and Buffett gave the same one-word answer: “Focus.”


Dear Friends, prayer and financial partners

Let's admit it, just a whole lot of usmissionaries, pastors, and laity alike have a strong case of what I like to think of as spiritual ADHD. Let me explain.

When I was a boy, raised in South Texas, of course, my mother used to say, "Jimmy, stay focused. Stop running around like a chicken with your head cut off!" (Of course if you have never seen a chicken's head cut off, and for them to get up and run around around headless until they bled out, you will not understand the idiom. But, believe me, it does happen.) In any event, mother's advice was just what a young fellow with ADHD (before we even had the term) needed. Now, mind you, I was smart enoughhad test enough to prove that, but focused I was not!

Staying focused has taken years of self-discipline; and every once in a while the old attention deficit disorder takes over. Ample proof of which is in the number of books laying around in my office that are only half read. Oh, I'll read them, after I get over the boredom, that is.

How about you? Any unread books laying around? Not fully reading a book is one thing; however, running around like a chicken with its head cut off is another thing altogether. Let me explain.

Once I was invited to speak to a group of missionaries, and stayed in the home of one of the families. During the course of the week I noticed that the gentleman spent well over 50% per cent of his time chauffering about, picking up groceries, running a family member here and there, standing in long lines to clear customs in order to pick up a package from the post office--in other words, running around like a chicken with its head cut off, and never really accomplishing anything worthwhile as far as  I could see. I said to him, "Friend, no disrespect, but how much would it cost to put someone on a rickshaw to do most of these things?" Less than a quarter, I was told. "And, what would it cost to hire someone to do this?" That came to about $10 dollars a month. Then, I asked, "Why don't you just hire someone to do this?" The reply? "They'll pad the bill and I don't like anyone cheating me."

"Okay, I said, let's take this one step farther. How much could they pad the bill daily?" That came to somewhere in the neighorhood of another quarter. I said, "Friend, you spend more on gas than they steal from you. So, stop it!"

By the way, he's still my friend, but I don't think he ever stopped it!

Well, so much for advice. But, you get the point.
Blessings, and remember— I am with you on this journey,

Jim

P. S.  Several of my national friends from North East India would love to attend the Assemblies of God 100 Years Centennial Celebration that is scheduled for AUG 5-6, 2014, in Springfield, Missouri. Please pray for these men and if you wish to help let me know. Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments and opinions, please continue.