Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Don't sweat the small things . . .

Funny thing, my wife asked me to explain the difference between Lutherans, Anglicans, and Methodists the other day.


"Well," I replied, "for one thing they are not Catholic, that's for sure."

The discussion continued: "Then what are they? Protestants?"

"Well," I continued, this time trying to mimic Ronald Reagan when he used to tilt his head, smile and say his "Wells." I thought for a minute and said, "No, Anglicans are not considered Protestants."

"What are they, then?" she asked, looking a little puzzled.
I then explained that they were schismatics, but still in dialogue with Rome. Then I added, "Actually, Methodist and Anglican doctrine are very similar."

The questions continued until I finally said, "You know what? There's not that much difference in any of these that could not be solved with a little charity. At least not enough difference to keep any of them out of Heaven, and I have a feeling that there will be just as many of them as will be Assemblies of God people and, yes, a lot of others that we never expected to see on the other side, either!"

Why do I say this? Because, take for instance the Calvinist position on grace and accepting Christ as Lord and Savior, is our decision to accept Christ really an irresistible tug of grace to do so, or not? The Methodist and we Assemblies of God say that there's a tug there but certainly not irresistible. Not so, say our Baptist and Presbyterian friends because to allow that infringes on the sovereignty of God; as if, God were not also fully capable of relinquishing His hold on our freedom to give us a choice in the matter.

After saying all of that, we ask ourselves, what difference does all of this theological wrangling make?Not much, in my opinion. The end game is still the same, you're either Heaven or Hell bound in either case. So, why get all in a tizzy about it?

I know. I know. "Because," I hear someone say, "'em Baptist believe once saved always saved and that give the excuse to just do what they want to sin-wise, 'cause they're gonna get to Heaven whatever."

Really? I've met a lot of Baptist in my life, some among my own relatives, and I even attended Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (the larges seminary in the world at that time) and I have just to meet a blatantly sinful Baptist that tried to wiggle out of the consequences with the lame excuse of "Well, once saved, always saved." No! A Baptist conscience compels them toward repentance as does ours. On the other hand, do I agree with the Baptist theologically? Absolutely not, but the point is, these petty differences, by in large, are just that: petty differences.

"Well," I hear my imaginary friend say, "teaching that you can sin like the Devil and still make it to Heaven is just wrong."

Sure it is, but when you get right down to it we are all sinners on our way to Heaven--at least that's the way I see it. I've heard of a lot of perfect people, saints and all, but I really have never met one, including Mother Teresa. At least not good enough for Heaven, unless they accepted the fact that they were made ready for Heaven on the merits of His death not what good they had done.

That's what it is all about. "Grace. Grace. God's grace," as the song goes. Baptist, Methodists, Anglicans, Assemblies of God, what have you, it all about grace, God's grace. That's what missions is all about, too. Not making people better actors in some earthy morality play, but sinners in search of a savior, whom we have met: Jesus is his name. Hallelujah! Isn't that wonderful news? We know the Savior not just our Savior, but the Savior who died for the whole world, every last people that has or will ever live!

So, let's band together and stop majoring in the minors and vow that in the essentials we will strive for unity, in non-essentials we will exercise liberty, and above all things we will practice charity.

I am yours for the journey,

      Jim R/~

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments and opinions, please continue.