Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Suffering for someone else's sake . . .

One Man's Opinion
by Jim Roane, Ph.D.

Dear friends and faithful supporters: 

Cancer? Even the word just about scares the pants off some people—me included! And, believe me, as a cancer survivor I can testify to how sobering it is to hear your doctor say, “I’ve got the results back and unfortunately Mr. Roane they are not good … you’ve got cancer. There is hope, however, we can retard its growth and ‘who knows’ chances are new research will develop a cure; until then however, we must aggressively attack it.”

Following that, the rest of the conversation is a blur.
 

Attack it, we did. Given a choice, I chose surgery and then later radiation over a less proactive approach. That along with prayer basically did the trick. Not completely, but enough so that every time the cancer cells raise their ugly heads we zap them with hormone treatments and starve them almost to death. The dirty little rascals are still there but are limping around on crutches, you might say.

So, I've had my share of ups and downs.


In line with that, today while listening to some of the amputees from the Boston Marathon bombings share their experiences, it dawned on me more than ever that suffering can and does play a part in our growth as Christians. 
Paul wrote so many years ago to a group of struggling, fearful Christians that to suffer has a purpose. Here is what he said, 
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.” (2 Corinthians 1: 3-4)

In essence what he is saying here is that suffering serves a purpose, a very high purpose: that of comforting others in their sufferings in a way that someone who has never experienced that particular type of pain can be comforted because you have experienced suffering yourself and really know that God in His great mercy and grace comforted you. Whew! That's a long sentence—but true! 

Many times in my Christian walk I have come across someone suffering and I struggled with just the right words to say. Many times words of comfort do not come easy—like for example when someone has just lost a child or been diagnosed with cancer, or have a loved one who has. Perhaps, it may be a tragic mutilating, disfiguring car accident, or any number of terrible incidences, and the person is really hurting; and, we simply cannot find the right words to say. I have found, also that words sometime get in the way. All the person needs is a kind sympathetic arm around their shoulder and a look on your face that says, “I know how it feels. I’ve been there and it is not pleasant. But, I also know that Jesus is a friend that never leaves us, even in our darkest hours. He too suffered, and therefore he also understands.” 

A skeptic will say,” ‘nonsense!’ why doesn’t God do something about it if he really cares?” To which I can only say, “I don’t know. But, I do know that He cares. I know that He suffered for me, too. I don’t have to bear the ultimate pain and rightful consequences of my sins either, because He cared enough to die for me. He took my place. Suffered for me. Paid the penalty for my sins; and now because He lives, I too have great confidence in His assurance that I will not have to suffer yet even more once this life here on earth is over.

As you know, we have been at teaching at Evangel Theological Seminary teaching in the Ukraine. What a lesson in Christian dedication and in suffering for the cause of Christ. I noticed a reserved humility that can in my opinion be the primary results of years of persecution and suffering for Christ. Only eternity will reveal what these dear brothers and sisters have gone through under Communism. But, I sensed that in the long run they are the better for it.

Thanks once again for the opportunity to minister there, and may God comfort you all along your Christian journey.


En agape Christou,


Please keep in mind that we minister entirely by faith. We are not underwritten by any church or organization.

Donate please

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments and opinions, please continue.