Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

"Liar, liar, your pants are on fire!"

I don't know about you, but I sure will be glad when this Presidential election is over and done. Great day in the honk, we are hammered away on from morning through the night with skewed facts, innuendos, half-truths, and a few other un-believables. It's not up to me to announce who the guilty parties are, but I do have my opinion.

When it comes to facts and figures, I'm reminded of the old saying that "Figures don't lie; but liars do figure." And, boy, do they when election time rolls around.

Politicians, however, don't have an edge on lies. Lot of other folks are pretty good at it, too. Our advertising industry thrives on fudging with the truth. We preachers sometimes jokingly refer to one of our colleagues that brags on the size of his church as speaking evangelistically ~ or to work off a pun, evangel-lastically.

Now, I know one can become paranoid about things like this, and get guilt feelings everytime they say something like, "I'll be there in a minute;" and then turn up 5 or 6 minutes later. I really have no answer for these super sensitive souls, except that perhaps it would help to learn what an idiomatic expression is.

What I have in mind, and what disturbs me, is the kind of casual way in which we accept stretching the truth, or expect politicians not to really come clean about some shenanagan they have pulled. We've all seen it, and we all know what I am talking about.

Now, let me get to the irritating truth. That is, opposites can not both be true when affirming the same premise. So, you and I must make up our minds which camp habitually twist and manipulates statistics, polls, think-tank opinions, or scholarly articles to suit their fancy. Once the obvious is clear, then do something about it. And, if your imagination can not come up with an action plan, the least you can do is talk to a neighbor about it, or write a letter to the culprit, or join a local action group . . . do something, for goodness sake!

Am I being harsh? Not really. And, I'll tell you why. First of all, when our elected officials continue to crane their necks towards the next election, pandering to a politically correct agenda, and consistently misrepresent the truth and sidestep the moral issues that are eating at the very core of our nation's soul, then I say, we are in deep trouble and I believe we need to do something about it.

You need go no farther than the Bible for proof of the consequences of a government that put morals on idle and tried to sail through on past glory.

Study the life of Solomon. For the first part of his reign, he soared high with God's favor; but at the end of his career he crash landed. And, interestingly enough one of Solomon's own proverbs came back to haunt him. For Solomon once wrote, "Like a muddied spring or a polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." (Prov. 25:26 NIV)

Unfortunately, Solomon found out the hard way that the proverb was indeed true.

This same trait, I find is also present in our society. We give lip service to honesty and applaud integrity, but in most cases either turn a blind eye to the corruption all around us, or simple take the easy route and enjoy the cushy ride. The sad facts are, we can not satiate ourselves with false hope and the ever elusive change that we have been promised. It is now time for action.
My proposal?

Exercise your vote. And, also encourage others to do so. Getting angry, or fuming about the sad state of affairs is really meaningless unless you are willing to do something about it.

Get out and vote! Personally, I don't think I could live with myself if I thought for a minute that because of the lack of my vote one little innocent unborn baby was aborted, or that my child was subjected to an unfiltered homosexual agenda in a classroom unfettered by the restraints of a godly conscience by some apprehensive politically correct teacher.

Thank you for your prayers and financial support,

P.S. Remember, if you wish to contribute to our overseas ministry expenses to teach in our Bible schools to disciple "Others" to reach their generation, please click onto the donate now button (below) and when prompted clearly designate all gifts in the comment section to: "Class (40)Ministry Trip." Or, for those of you who have asked how to contribute to our personal expenses, just enter "Class (09) Personal Expenses" in the comments section using the red 'contribution' link below.

However, if you are not on line and wish to mail your contributions in, send them to the address below and I will see that you get AGWM and IRS credit:

Missionaries Jim & Bonnie Roane
1013 Madera Court, Allen,TX75013-3639

We can not do this without you. So, thanks for making all of this possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments and opinions, please continue.