Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, June 08, 2012

"I love you more!"

Right now, in my private devotions, I am reading through the Gospel of John, the disciple "whom Jesus loved." (John 5:23)

Now, I must admit that verse (and others like it) have often puzzled me. My question has always been, "Why did he love John any more than the other disciples?" However, I think I have the answer.

John is writing from a personal perspective. He was completely devoted to Jesus. He was one of only two disciples to follow Jesus into the high priest’s courtyard on the night of his trial. The other, Peter, denied that he knew Christ; however, John remained loyal. And, I believe that one of the major reasons that Jesus asked John to take care of his mother after he was crucified was because he knew he could depend on him to take good care of her because of John's loyalty to him. (John 19:25)

I don't believe, however that he loved John more than the other disciples. John thought so, though.

Let me throw some light on the story by telling you of an incident that happen at my own mother's funeral. When our eldest daughter gave her eulogy she mentioned (halfway teasing, yet somewhat seriously) that "Grandma love me more than her other grandchildren. I was her favorite," she said.

Well that set off a chain reaction with each of the succeeding grandchildren saying the same. Naturally, they could not all be right. But in a sense they were. She loved them equally and that made them think they were the favorite.

Looking back on my childhood, I must admit that I always knew that I was her favorite. Yet, that was not true. That fact was brought home to me in particular when I over heard her tell a friend one day that she loved my older half-brother just as much as any of her children. As far as she was concerned, he was as much hers as me or my other brother and sisters were. So, although, she had not given birth to him he was just as special to her as were we.

Reflecting on that, I, too, must at times remind myself that Jesus died for the whole world. Not just for me. Not just for the Christians, or the morally good. No, he died for all. Why? Because he loved them, John says,

Before the Passover celebration, Jesus knew that his hour had come to leave this world and return to his Father. He had loved his disciples during his ministry on earth, and now he loved them to the very end. (John 13:1 NLV) Paul puts it this way,

When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners. Now, most people would not be willing to die for an upright person, though someone might perhaps be willing to die for a person who is especially good. But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners.(Rom. 5:6-8 TLB)

Now, the beautiful lesson we learn from all of this is simply that God loves us all equally, including the skid row drunk, or the wild-eyed jihadist. Some of us disappoint him; but his arms are always open to embrace those that sense and cultivate that love.

The sad facts are, however, that much of the world, including our own part, do not really know how much Jesus loves them. You and I have the privilege, and, yes, an obligation to show them that love. Missions is a vital part of that process, too. So, whatever you do, pray for and support missions! It's God's way of sharing His great love to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments and opinions, please continue.