Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, June 16, 2011

I've Been Thinking About Holiness A Lot Here Lately

I've been thinking about holiness a lot here lately. And, you know what? — I've come to some conclusions. Conclusion number one is that I will never be good enough. No matter how hard I try, I just can't cut the mustard when it comes to holiness. Now, I know some people act as if they have, but I have my doubts.


One fellow I know said that he has never worn a part of shorts — as opposed to long legged trousers. Said he has never gone outside without his shirt on. Doesn't allow his wife to get her hair cut. She can go to the J. C. Penny's hair salon, however, and get it all teased up and curled into a beehive on top of her head. I think he has TV, but mainly watches the Christian channels and news, I suspect.

Well, I've got to give him credit, he's certainly consistent.

Now, my friend is obviously old-line holiness, and proud of it. (Yes, there are still a few of these around even in the Assemblies of God!) I say, fine and dandy. More power to him, if that is what turns his crank. On the other hand, however, I sure do hope he realizes that none of that will get him through the Pearly Gates.

Me? My holiness is more subtle. I try and be polite because preachers are suppose to be polite. I say ‘Thank you!’ a lot because again that is what decent people do to please people and God, I'm told. I keep my speech clean, too. I wouldn't be caught dead using some of the language Paul used. But, really, I guess he is able to get by with it because it is all in Greek, and most people now days don't speak Greek. Any, even euphemisms are mostly out for me. Not because I don't feel like I need to use one sometime, but because . . . well, preachers, just don’t express themselves so forcefully unless they want to get criticized. And, I don’t like criticism, so I try and avoid things like that.

But, as I have said, I have been thinking about holiness a lot here lately and I have come to some other conclusions, too.

Primarily, my biggest conclusion is that I just don’t have enough years ahead of me to get holy enough. So, I think I am going to coast for the rest of the while I have left and just rely on Jesus. You probably won’t notice much difference, though. I've got my attempt at holiness down to a science, and the holiness that I have cultivating all these years is pretty much a part of me.

Relax!

This was all written with ‘tongue in cheek,’ unfortunately, however, it’s all true.

For by grace I have been saved through faith, and that not of myself; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest I should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9 NKJV) And, that includes my feeble attempt at being good enough for Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments and opinions, please continue.