Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, May 24, 2010

Denominational Arrogance

I wish to begin this article by confirming that I am perfectly—well, not perfectly, but reasonably satisfied with my denominational affiliation; no one church or organization is perfect, and that is just the point.

Recently, someone asked me to explain the meaning of Hebrews 10: 26 in light of apostasy, and eternal security.

The verse reads:
"For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins . . ."

Well, naturally, I told him that I could not reconcile the two. Apostasy and eternal security can not be reconciled, as far as I am concerned. Sadly, however, my position would prohibit me from sharing communion with him, according to his denominational standards.

I call this arrogance.

Another case in point. Recently, I heard that a friend of mine was prohibited from being best man in his best friends wedding since he was from a different denomination.

I also call this arrogance.

Here’s another one. A mother was refused communion because her letter of transfer had not been received from a church of the same denomination.

This, too, is arrogance, as far as I am concerned..

Shall I list more? I don’t think that is necessary. You get the point, I am sure.

Why is it that we feel entitled to play God, when Jesus, who was God, was a lot more tolerant?

Think of the cases: The woman at the well; the lepers; Judas at the first communion table; socializing with sinners and publicans; then extend that to Cornelius and Gentiles in general; all, of which, were exceptions to ‘denominational policy.’

Yet, many so-called Christian denominations have much ‘higher’ standards than He had, and seem to be proud of their ‘purity’.

What a shame.

Christ said in his closing prayer,
"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.” John 17: 20-21

Our strong desire should be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments and opinions, please continue.