Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Peter as a shepherd

Today I wish to discuss John 21:15-17, which reads in the Amplified Bible:

When they had eaten, Jesus said to Simon Peter, Simon, son of John, do you love Me more than these [others do--with reasoning, intentional, spiritual devotion, as one loves the Father]? He said to Him, Yes, Lord, You know that I love You [that I have deep, instinctive, personal affection for You, as for a close friend]. He said to him, Feed (βοσκε) My lambs. Again He said to him the second time, Simon, son of John, do you love Me [with reasoning, intentional, spiritual devotion, as one loves the Father]? He said to Him, Yes, Lord, You know that I love You [that I have a deep, instinctive, personal affection for You, as for a close friend]. He said to him, Shepherd (tend) (ποιμαινε) My sheep. He said to him the third time, Simon, son of John, do you love Me [with a deep, instinctive, personal affection for Me, as for a close friend]? Peter was grieved (was saddened and hurt) that He should ask him the third time, Do you love Me? And he said to Him, Lord, You know everything; You know that I love You [that I have a deep, instinctive, personal affection for You, as for a close friend]. Jesus said to him, Feed (βοσκε) My sheep.
Clearly two Greek words are used here. One βοσκε means feed; whereas, the other ποιμαινε means to tend as a shepherd, or supervise. So, to clarify what Christ said, allow me to paraphrase: “Peter, I want you to feed my lambs (little ones), and to tend to and supervise my sheep (the more mature ones), and feed them too as well.”


Why the difference? Well, primarily because the mature sheep will have the responsibility to care for or supervise the little lambs, whereas, the ministry of spiritual supply must come from a spiritual leader, and one, I might add, with the authority to tend to and supervise. To me, if we had no other verse in Scripture to establish church discipline or authority, this one would be sufficient. Our ministry as shepherds (pastors) is to tend to the flock, which includes the responsibility to feed as well as discipline. Peter, being what many believe to be the chief among the Apostles was singled out as a role model to exemplify the role of a true shepherd. Lambs must be fed to grown into mature sheep, and mature sheep must be fed and shepherded.


Once a very wise pastor said to me, “The way to judge a person’s heart is to see how they treat animals and children.” The defenseless need a protector, a provider. Lambs must be fed, tenderly and with constant diligence. Ewes and rams need supervision, tending to, as it were; as well as fed. Interestingly, the epistles of Peter are the only epistles that tells the undershepherds to feed and care for the flock. No doubt the words of Christ were still ringing true in his ears when this great apostle wrote:


Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind; 1 Peter 5:2
Not forgetting either that the true shepherd, like The Great Shepherd set the example, Peter writes,


Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being examples to the flock. 1 Peter 5:3
What a responsibility, indeed, what a task, but also, what a privilege to feed and tend the flock! Truly, we are blessed, for—


Together, we are his house, built on the foundation of the apostles and the prophets. And the cornerstone is Christ Jesus himself. Ephesians 2:20 NIV
Thank God for those apostles and prophets that went before us, who were not disobedient to the vision from heaven. (Acts 26:19)

Jim R

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jim,

    I don't think there is a lot here that anyone would disagree with. There are things left unsaid that would need to be expanded upon such as the scope of "tending" and "supervising".

    I think this includes doctrinal authority as well as discipline, etc.

    And you haven't given the parameters of what specifically you mean by 'authority'.

    So the problems might come in when we get down to clear explanations of some things that might be radically different, but as far as what you say goes, it is substantially what I think has always been orthodox.

    Best,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that the parameters of "authority" is delegated to Bishops, elders, and the Body of Christ (that is, the Community of Believers, or Church). Personally, I think the Scripture is clear on that. The question is, “In what way is that authority delegated?” Scripture is also clear on that: It is delegated to Godly men, under a Higher Authority.

    I intent to discuss the qualifications and conditions under which men of authority operate with Godly authority, at a later time. I will delineate what I feel defines Godly authority, for I feel that is the key “whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear: For our God is a consuming fire.” Hebrews 12: 28-29

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments and opinions, please continue.